12.03.2007

My First New-Job-Related Post

Everyone should go buy December's issue of American Prospect. It has a group of articles on the "Politics of Pre-K" in the current Dec 07 issue. One of the articles is about how Illinois became a model state in political coalition-building around early childhood education. This is pretty much what I am learning about and working on daily, and I found it to be a useful primer.

And since I know everyone as endlessly fascinated with me and my daily life as I am, I thought it might be interesting to share.

My boss was interviewed for the article, but they didn't end up quoting him directly. They do mention my organization.

I don't want to post it here, but I actually have an email version of the article, so let me know if someone wants to read it. The Prospect.org website requires that you have a subscription in order to read the whole article. Actually, I may commit a mass emailing, so people might get the article regardless of if they want it or not.

The issue of early childhood education is sort of more exciting than I initially thought it would be, if only because I get to read about it in the political magazines to which I'm addicted, and on which I waste so much money.

2 comments:

the fruitfemme said...

I'm only glad you've finally found some sort of child-related fulfillment. I worried about you, you know, what with all that mindless penis-worshipping and your bizzare insistence on "women" as a politically marginalized group.

On the other hand, I was just at this grantee meeting where I heard about this author named Mary Daly (?) who wrote a book called gynecology--but don't worry. It's about women. Not about, you know, women's. . . bits. Anyway, the woman running this meeting was telling me that in this book they talk about this framework that might be helpful to you too. She called it "patriarchy." It was a complete paradigm shift for me. I only wish you could've been there.

Rivolta said...

OMG! I am a real woman after all! What a relief!

This 'patriarchy' sounds like latin or something. I don't have time for dead languages.

Seriously, I realize it must have been a bizarre conversation for someone to try to blow your mind with Mary Daly. But I still take heart that someone else knew her.