11.28.2007

Ode to Intellectual Laziness and Mediocrity

My beloved friend Fruit Femme told me that I should consider changing the name of my blog to "I'm Trying Not to Betray My Atheist Self". This evening on the phone, I said it to her when I was trying to describe a feeling without sounding like I was talking about fate, or the hand of god, or the universe, etc.

But, by god, I could not find a way around it. So I just had to make my excuses, and say the wishy-washy theistic thing I was thinking.

I haven't found Jesus hiding in my closet, nor have I seen the goddess under the street light on the corner, so let's not get too excited, theist friends.

It's just that sometimes, I find myself giving in to the dominant linguistic and cultural paradigm, because I just don't have the creative power necessary to generate my own description of events without falling back on cliches.

And God is the ultimate cliche.

In my utterly humble opinion.

Speaking of humble-
So, I turned 29 a week or two ago. It was sad. But, things are looking pretty good for once. I think the latter half of my 20s has sufficiently lowered my expectations of life that I now am capable of enjoying things that before I would have been entirely blind to.

All in all, I haven't been this content in years.

5 comments:

the fruitfemme said...

Come on! Everybody knows that the goddess isn't hiding around some street light. She's found under the sheets. (and from what I've heard, you did find her.)

love, the FF

btw, this " It's just that sometimes, I find myself giving in to the dominant linguistic and cultural paradigm, because I just don't have the creative power necessary to generate my own description of events without falling back on cliches." makes me love you even more. In fact, it's my new email signature.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you remind me of those ultra smart teenagers on the WB. I used to think, "nobody talks like that". I was wrong.

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday.

Cliches make the world go 'round.

mcookies said...

You are hilarious. I think I might take back my whole pretentious exposition on atheism v. agnosticism just because you wrote this. While it may be appropriate to accuse you of domestic laziness, intellectual laziness is certainly not a crime of which you are guilty.

If you were to eat Chinese food today and get a fortune cookie, it might say something like, "Expect something in the mail soon," or "Dogs barking, can't fly without umbrella." Not sure which one.

Rivolta said...

Yay! An mcookies project! I am so excited! I have been watching the mail for weeks upon weeks, and the anticipation has nearly killed me.

And anyway, I liked your post. It made me think about some stuff. I didn't disagree with it, actually.

And it's not like talking about the "dominant cultural and linguistic paradigm" isn't pretentious. And really, in certain circles, it is sort of cliched, too.